Sunday, October 30, 2016

Some Hexie Work, a Prize, and Procrastination

Lately, I have had several people ask me about my progress on my "forever" hexie project. I, regrettably, had to say that there had been no progress for quite some time. The piece has gotten so large it is hard to work on (and impossible to work on when I travel). To refresh your memory, here is a picture of the project. (I HAVE added one more row to the bottom of this piece but haven't photographed that.)

I decided I would divide the remaining work into several (what I hope are) "doable" sections. I figure I can work on the sections while I'm on the go and add them to the BIG piece when I'm at home. In the last couple of days, I have completed two of those sections. (The basting stitches have not been removed yet.)

This piece will be added to the bottom--right in the middle to complete the red star points. The next piece will be added directly under that.

I know it doesn't look like much, but this represents several hours of work.

I received a prize from a drawing over at Alida's blog. I participated in her game board quilt project (Play with Me QAL) and was one of the winners in her final drawing. I won a free motion quilting CD, a pattern, and a binding tool. Thank you Alida! If you haven't checked out her blog, you should definitely do that. Check it out here.

Yesterday, I finished the quilting on my Scorched Earth art piece. Now, I have to square it up and face it. I'm really dreading that work and have been procrastinating. Maybe I'll get to it today or maybe not.

4 comments:

Robbie said...

Great idea on working on your hexie piece! I just started another one today! But it's small (tiny actually!) compared to yours...mine is only 12"x18"...ha I love that quilt and it will be stunning when finished!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I love seeing how your hexie is coming along. This is quite the commitment quilt. You sound like a true retired person...'Maybe, maybe not.'

dana said...

Thanks for the update of your hexie project. Can you take a close up of your stitching when sewing the hexies together? I try for close to invisable stitches but never come close.

Anonymous said...

I think you've chosen the best solution for working on something that large. I KNOW it takes hours to do what seems to be relatively small, but that is a lot of progress in those two pieces. I look forward to seeing the Scorched Earth piece. Gird up your loins, as they say. =) Congratulations on you win! Sounds like a lovely prize.