Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Weekly Pattern Wednesday--Pattern 16

I've been trying to come up with a piece to make for a SAQA exhibit at the Indianpolis Museum of Art next year. The theme is a contemporary take on Marie Webster's quilts. Thre really isn't much about Marie Webster's quilts that inspires my current artistic path. However, I decided I would look at elements in her work that I might be able to use. I found a quilt of hers with a border I like--just the border.

This week's pattern was inspired by that border and a piece of art I saw in a museum. Sadly, I'm not sure what museum it was, and I'm not sure of the artist either. I want to say the artist is Ai Wei Wei, because I think I remember commenting that it didn't look like his other work. Maybe I'm wrong. (If you know the artist, please let me know.) Here is my photo of the piece in the museum.

Here is my drawing in black and white.
I even did this one in color. I definitely think this drawing has potential. It has inspired me to start a piece based on it. At first, I didn't like the orange piece that looks like it is dropping off the left edge, but it has grown on me. I think it actually makes it more interesting.
I'm thinking I might try making this in purples and greens (similar to the color scheme used in Marie Webster's border). I've only used those colors on one other quilt I have made (one for my Mom when she was in the nursing home used to decorate her room there). I really liked the quilt once it was finished.
As usual, I'm linking up with Lynn Krawczyky's Weekly Pattern Wednesday on her Facebook page. Check out the other participants there.

3 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I like to see where your inspirations come from. I like your drawing. I think it is interesting how the orange goes out of the picture. It makes you wonder where it is going or perhaps coming from???

dana said...

I like this one a lot. Maybe even the best.

Robbie said...

Very cool...would make a great quilt!!!