Tuesday, August 18, 2015

A Wise Old Owl and a Bluebird of Happiness

I belong to a group that does a community art project. This year we are working on pieces for a child advocacy center. I was really stumped as to what I might make but have finally settled on little quilt that includes a whimsical owl, bluebird of happiness, bright blue sky, and a tree. I hope the children will be attracted to the colors and feel happy when they look at the piece. I have the owl finished.

The owl is made primarily of hand-dyed wool onto which I have done some hand embroidery. The beak and feet are made of leather. The "belly" is cut from some "fabric" I made and is attached to the piece using French knots. It is VERY textural.

I also finished the bluebird (who will be sitting in the tree) for the piece. This little guy is made from pieces of fabric I hand-dyed. I have used two different colors of blue thread and a couple different embroidery stitches to attach them to a muslin and felt backing (the same foundation I used for the owl). The beak and legs are satin stitched, and I used silk embroidery thread to stitch the rosy colored breast.

I'm hoping to get the tree and leaves finished this coming week. I'll post a picture when it is finished.

7 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

These are sweet little guys. I will look forward to seeing what the finished project looks like.

Kathleen Loomis said...

The bluebird is fabulous!! I hope the rest of the quilt lives up to him!

Robbie said...

Very sweet!!!! And very nice of you to be so involved!

Robin Walston said...

They are even cooler in person. So whimsical.

Robin Walston said...

They are even cuter in person. So whimsical!

dana said...

I bet your project will be the bomb! They are beautiful. I'm sure the little children will love your efforts.

Anonymous said...

Those are wonderful pieces to add to a child's quilt. I love the textural feel of both, and know it will be so popular with children.