Tuesday, May 13, 2014

What a Find!!!

My son and his family are renovating an old house in Arkansas and discovered some great "treasure." They found these two finished quilts. Both are hand pieced and hand quilted, and both are made primarily from feed sack material. They are in GREAT shape.

I know this quilt is a hexagon quilt, but does anyone know the pattern name? I love that it isn't a "usual" Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt, and I love the diagonal setting.

This Double Wedding Ring quilt is made of TINY pieces.

They found these quilt tops in the house too. These are also hand pieced (except for one). This is my favorite; I think it is a Seven Sisters quilt. I'd love to hand quilt this one, but I'm not sure I can EVER get it flat enough to quilt.

This is my son and daugher-in-law's favorite. Is it a Drunkard's Path variation or a Fan variation or something else entirely?

The next one contains a star block--maybe an Ohio Star?

The last two are utilitarian in nature, but they will look very nice when quilted. I think they look more "modern" than any of the others.

Since Ryan and Tara have four girls, I think SOMEONE will love this simple pink quilt.

I brought these home to see if I could get some of the age spots out of them (although there aren't many spots, and I think the spots give them some character). I bought some Retro Clean at the Paducah quilt show. It professes to "safely bring age-stained textiles back to life!" We'll see how that will works (and I'll let you know). The instructions say, after prewashing, to add 3-4 tablespoons of the granules in each gallon of warm water and to make enough solution to adequately immerse the item. It says to "soak in the sunshine if possible (it helps to keep the water warm), to speed up the process." I have to wait till we have a warm, sunny day with no rain to give it a try--not sure when that will be.

3 comments:

Laura said...

These are an amazing find! I have a bunch of old quilt tops and half-pieced tops that my grandmother had given my mother years ago, they're from the 30s and 40s, so I'll be watching your efforts with these closely!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What treasures. How lucky for them that you know what to do with them. Were they in the attic of their house or did the find them at a garage sale, auction???

Quilter Beth said...

I believe the quilts were found in closets in the house and in the garage.