Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Working on a Traditional Quilt

I worked on some traditional quilt blocks during our guild quilt retreat in February. I really thought I got a lot done, but I didn't realize until I got home that I needed EIGHTY-ONE blocks for the size quilt I needed. I think I finished twenty some blocks at the retreat. Well, I have been worked on those remaining blocks this week while my husband was in Vegas.

I was a bit worried about a place large enough to lay out the blocks but found a spot in my studio. I laid the blocks out and...wouldn't you know...I was short ONE block!

I decided I'd not only make that missing block, but I'd make enough for another row, so the quilt would be rectangular instead of square. So, now I'm on my way to making TEN more blocks. If you are interested in this pattern (which is a great scrap buster), it is a Kaye England Signature Scraps Pattern called Bordered Nine-Patch. You can find it here--Bordered Nine-Patch.

I haven't done a lot of traditional piecing lately, but working on these blocks has been somewhat theraputic. It almost feels like meditation when I work on traditional blocks (and most of my family tends to like my traditional pieces as gifts better than my art pieces). Making traditional blocks is easy work for me--unlike working on my art pieces. I know the art part comes easy for some artists; but that doesn't come easy to me. It is WORK. I find working on my art to be invigorating, challenging/hard, rewarding, scary, meaningful, exciting, and so much more. When I need a break (time to "rest" or when I just need to make a gift); thought, I find myself turning to traditional quilting. When I need a "hit" of creativity, I work on my art.

 

5 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

All of those little pieces are coming together beautifully.

Unknown said...

I am working on 2 quilts right now and they both have a 1 1/4" strips. I'm getting tired of those little puppies! lol

Robbie said...

What a great piece!!! Really very, very nice!!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt!

Patricia said...

Just love this quilt.