Friday, April 18, 2014

Working on a New Art Quilt--Fifty Shades of Gray

I mentioned, in one of my latest blog posts, that I am going to be starting a new art piece and that I'm going to be documenting my progress along the way. Well, here goes...

I've had a picture in my "Inspiration" file for quite some time. I took the picture while I was with my husband on one of his business trips. I was in the hotel looking out over the city. (I can't even remember which city it was--they all run together after awhile.) Anyway, this is the picture.

It came to mind because SAQA currently has a call for entry for an exhibit called "Concrete and Grassland." This is the part of the "show concept" that made me think of this photograph--"This call for entry asks artists to submit works that explore either the soft lines of nature or the hard lines of urban structures..." I'm thinking this photo fits the "hard lines" part; the lines are what drew me to the photograph to begin with. I don't know if I'll try to get into the exhibit or if I'll get it finished in time, but it has given me an incentive to get to work on a new piece. Now, I just have to figure out how to put my rendition of this photograph into fabric.

Look for my Fifty Shades of Gray (so named because I'm thinking of making this first piece in lots of shades of gray) blog posts to follow my progress (or lack thereof).

 

No comments: