Sunday, October 21, 2012

Fire Blog--3-D Shibori Technique



This month, over at the Fire blog, we are trying out the 3-D shibori technique. It involves using polyester fabric, tying various shaped objects into the fabric, and boiling the fabric to make the shapes permanent. I finally had a chance to try this month’s technique and got some promising results. Here are some of my final fabrics. If you'd like to see more (and how this process is done) check out my post and the 3-D Shibori tutorial by Nienke Smit. You might also want to check out what some of the other resident artists have done with the technique too.
I’m thinking several pieces done like this might look really cool “caged” in my bias strips for a new piece in my series.

9 comments:

Robbie said...

Colors look GREAT!!!!

Kit Lang said...

ooh - that's an interesting idea!

Nina Marie said...

I did catch this post this week and I thought - wow - hope Beth shares these - very cool!

Robin said...

Those are VERY intriguing!!!!!

Unknown said...

Boy, I've melted polyester, but this looks like more fun...and less toxic! Thanks for the clue!

janice pd said...

Do you think a pressure cooker would work rather than open boiling? This has all kinds of possibilities.

Quilter Beth said...

Gosh, I have no idea what a pressure cooker would do. I'm not real familiar with using a pressure cooker.

Vera Holmgren said...

Very interesting and beautiful colors!

janice pd said...

When i get home from Houston this will be at the top of my list. I have a bin full off huge polyester sari scarfs to texturize. Can't wait. Pressure cookers are super high heat to reduce cooking time.