Saturday, July 7, 2012

Great Design at the Baltimore Museum of Art

My husband and I are visiting friends in Baltimore. Our initial plans included lots of outdoor activities; however, Mother Nature decided not to cooperate. The excessive heat (106 degrees) today forced us into indoor activities. I didn't mind; I got to go to an art museum! Of course, I forgot my camera, so I had to use the camera on my phone. I apologize up front for the picture quality (although I didn't think they were "horrible").
 
My favorite artist is Kandinsky, so I was anxious to hit the modern art area of the museum. As luck would have it, the modern art and contemporary art exhibits were closed. I only got to see one Kandinsky, and it was not one of my favorite pieces. As a matter of fact, some of the shapes in the piece reminded me of sperm! Anyone else?
While on the search for any modern art I could find, I discovered an artist whose work I really enjoyed. Charles H. Walther is from Baltimore. I loved this piece called Reversible Composition, 1937-1938.

I like the colors and geometric nature of this work--the same things I usually like about Kandinsky's work. I'm definitely going to have to do some art quilts inspired by pieces like this.

One more modern art piece caught my eye--The Blue Disc, 1920, by French artist Fernand Leger. Again, I'm drawn to these colors and shapes.

My next post will be about the BMA's collection of Antioch mosaics (the result of its participation in excavations of an ancient city, known today as Antakya in southeastern Turkey, near the border of Syria). These pieces are FABULOUS. I'm DEFINITELY planning some pieces of art based on these.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! I stumbled onto it when looking for Kandinsky paintings in Baltimore. Serendipity! Looking forward to more of your art quilts