Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Renewed

I have just come out of an Advanced Independent Study session with Jane Dunnewold. I spent three and a half days immersed in all things art. The session reminded me of my time in college when intellectual discussions were commonplace. I remember being totally excited every day. I couldn't wait to be in that nurturing atmosphere, and I was always afraid I'd miss something--so much so that I didn't sleep, contracted mono, and ended up missing a month a half of school. That's how it was last week (not the part about not sleeping or mono). I tried my best to soak up every bit of the atmosphere--the excitement, knowledge, encouragement, learning, and support.

I have been involved with Jane and this Advanced Independent Study Group for almost a year. I can't put into words how much I feel I have grown as an artist. (That "as an artist" part is something I couldn't have said a few months ago.) I've done a lot of things I didn't think I could do--I have created several ORIGINAL fiber pieces, entered a juried art show (and had two pieces accepted), and have been a part of a "Meet the Artist" program at LAFTA (Louisville Fiber and Textile Artists). The encouragement from the AIS group (and a good friend) have renewed my creative spirit. I'm thankful.

No comments: