Saturday, December 31, 2011

One Down, Two to Go

I have been busy working on a series of quilts for my Advanced Independent Study group meeting with Jane Dunnewold. The three are supposed to be finished before the end of February when the group meets again. The one that is totally finished is called Flying Bikinis (named by my son). If you follow my blog, you have seen the finished top without the quilting and facing.

I used bias strips surrounding pieced silk sari strips. It is totally hand quilted.
Here is a detail shot. You can see the hand quilting better in this shot.
One of the other pieces is finished except for the facing and mounting onto a canvas; the other is in the process of being quilted. I'm hoping to finish the hand quilting tonight. Then, there is some machine quilting that will need to be done. I'll keep you updated as to my progress. Wish me luck on getting the other two totally finished before the deadline. I seem to be REALLY good at getting things started...not so much on the finishing.

4 comments:

Laura said...

What a great title -- Flying Bikinis. I love the colors you're using, in this and in the sunflower one a while back. Hand quilting is something that I just can't get into, seems if I sit down on the couch in the evenings I end up falling asleep.

Karen S said...

I love the title. That background color is one I probably never would have thought of using, but it's great with the black and the stripey bits!

Deb Erwin said...

The quilting on this piece is awesome! I have faith in you...you'll get your projects completed. Can't wait to see them!

Judith said...

Well, that explains the title. It does look like flying bikinis and it was your son who came up with the name! Tee Hee! Congratulations on selling it! You are such an artist!