Friday, December 23, 2011

Miscellaneous Pieces from the Boston Museum of Fine Art

I want to take this time to wish those of you that celebrate Christmas a Merry Christmas. To those of you that celebrate other holidays...Happy Holidays. Enjoy the time you have with family and friends. I'm so very thankful for both. I also want to take this time to let you know how much I appreciate you reading my blog. I appreciate the comments and I especially appreciate my "Followers." Now here's a little eye candy.

I just found these pictures and couldn't resist posting them. I just loved this feather headdress. I think the color and texture have something to do with it. Anyway, it was made in the mid-20th century of feathers, vine, fiber, cotton cloth, and string. "During ceremonial occasions, rulers and royal officials in the many kindoms of the Bamileke in Cameroon wear flamboyant headdresses made from feathers, including the red tail feathers of the gray parrot. Such hats also appear as part of the costume of masked performers. The feathers attach to a mesh cap, and the entire headdress can be tured inside out so that the fiber cap protects them." (Quoted information comes from the museum.)
Here is a close up--gorgeous.
As I was being led around the museum by a guide, she quickly took me through a room that contained this quilt. I had her stop so I could take a  quick picture. (I was sure I'd never find that room again!) I don't know any information about it. Is this what you'd call a story quilt?
These "rugs" were in the room before I got to the Chihuly glass exhibit. I'm still not sure why they were there; they really had nothing to do with the exhibit. I loved the colors, though.

1 comment:

Robbie said...

What a bright and interesting post! Now I can see you trying to reproduce the feather headdress! And happy holiday's to you too!