Thursday, June 9, 2011

10-Hour "Work" Day

I worked for at least ten hours today on my new project. I do have a name for it (thanks Sharon) that I'll be telling you about shortly. I'm waiting to see if I can get permission to include some information I think would be interesting for you to know about it. Anyway...

This is what it looked like when I started today--I had the rough pieces cut out, but none of the applique done for the top.
This is what I ended up with after ten hours of work... Somehow, it doesn't seem like I got all that much done!  I still have to stitch around most of these applique pieces. (I did get some of the stitching done.) This work takes a REALLY, REALLY long time.
Oh, I did get sidetracked by this for a few minutes! He slithered by my studio window; I was SO excited! It reminded me of the two pet corn snakes (one "regular;" one albino) we used to have. I miss those snakes! Anyway, I ran and got my camera, and took this picture. I think he was trying to get into my landscaping rocks to cool off, but there wasn't any place for him to go. He stayed this way (with his head and about 8 inches of him in the field stone) for two or three minutes and then slithered off into the grass. I guess I won't be going barefooted in my yard anymore!
Seeing him also reminded me of my Grandma Wink. Every time she saw a snake she would run to get her "snake-killin' hoe." That hoe killed many a snake; she just HATED snakes (even though I tried to convince her that they actually do a lot of good). I can still picture her whacking a snake with that hoe. When she died, my cousin David wanted that "snake-killin' hoe"--he got it at her auction. I'm sure it is being put to good use.

Check back; I'll keep you updated on the progress I'm making.

Oh, by the way, I'm trying to increase my number of "Followers," so if you wouldn't mind I'd love to have you click on "Follow." Also, I'd like to hear from you every once in awhile. You can leave a comment. I recently set it up so I would be emailed when I get a comment (so I could answer quickly). I haven't gotten a comment since I did that, so I don't even know if it works. Have pity; please leave a comment!!!!!!

7 comments:

Lis Harwood said...

Here's a comment - hope it works! Your project is very intriguing, looking forward to seeing more. I'm already a follower btw :) I think you might be the only person I know of who likes snakes!

Laura said...

Hope this comment works, too. Look forward to seeing more of your project, sometimes it's hard to convey all of it in a picture. I like to have snakes around, too, in my garden and yard as they keep the rodent population down. Snakes are safe on my property, but most of my neighbors kill them on sight.

Sally said...

Love seeing your projects and the chances you take in the name of creativity. Not so sure about the snakes!

Wendy Kimball said...

I love following you on your blog! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Love your project....hate your snake! lol I wouldn't have gone to get my camera. I would have gone to get my husband. I'm afraid I'm like your Grandma. ;-)

Anonymous said...

You piece is really shaping up and I think it is looking great!
Robin

Karoda said...

hey beth! when i saw the top photo i said to myself..."she's venturing into doll making". looking forward to seeing if my impression is right ;) Sounds like Grandmother Wink's snake hating hoe would make a great narrative quilt.