Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Class with Jane Dunnewold--There's More

This is a continuation of the last blog post I made about my three-day Improvisational Screen Printing class with Jane Dunnewold. Again, I am humbled to have had the opportunity to study under her.

The following pictures are from the class. Here, class samples of multi-color screen prints are drying on the line. I just love colorful pieces.
We had "Show & Tell" at the end of the class. Here you can see more examples of multi-color prints. 
 These are some class samples tacked to the wall--ready for "Show & Tell."
I think this was my favorite piece in the class. The student first printed her multi-color print then screen printed her flour-paste resist (the black design) over it. I really liked the stark contrast of the very graphic black part of the print to the subtle background.
 Kathy Loomis shows us her work during "Show & Tell."
Below is a good example of a multi-color print. That student started the printing with the yellow print on the right. 
I know I said it in the first blog post about the class, but I just can't say it enough. THIS CLASS WAS FABULOUS--see how happy I look!
Check back soon. I have a post ready with pictures from Jane Dunnewold's "Etudes: A Daily Practice" exhibit at the Hite Art Galleries at the University of Louisville (available for viewing till February 13, 2011), the LAFTA show at the Jewish Community Center in Louisville (available till February 22, 2011), and the Form Not Function exhibit at the Carnegie in New Albany (till March 5, 2011). For more information on each of these exhibits, check the "Upcoming Quilting/Fiber Arts Events" section on my blog. It appears to the right of my blog posts. What wonderful opportunities to see great fiber art. If you get a chance to see any (or all) of these exhibits in person, DO IT! 

3 comments:

Kathleen Loomis said...

Hi Beth! that is indeed me in the show-and-tell picture with the multicolor prints saying "KATE" -- but I need to make clear that the picture directly underneath is not my work. I wish it were, since those are much nicer multicolor prints than mine!

You're right, it was a great workshop.

Laura said...

I'm so jealous! Looks like you had a great time.

k.somerville said...

I'm so glad you had a great time. That's a great picture of you and Jane. you both look happy. Now you'll have to start printing birds....especially with spring coming and all. (and with your ongoing bird vibe ;) )