Thursday, January 13, 2011

Snow Dyeing/Bird Pictures of the Day

Okay, you are all probably sick of hearing people "talk" about snow dyeing, but... I've never done any before. I thought I'd give it a shot; I'm glad I did. Here are the two pieces I did yesterday.
I took hold of the middle of this fabric and twisted it--making a spiral--before I put the snow on top. 
I just rumpled and scrunched this fabric a bit before I put the snow on it. I put both of these pieces in the plastic container shown below. When I look at this piece I am reminded of my trip to Yellowstone. I remember one of the geyser pools that had the most unusual, beautiful color. The bottom right quarter of this piece looks like that pool.
I drizzled the dyes I had left over from my day of trying shibori earlier in the week. I used an orangy yellow, sun yellow, red, and turquoise. I had more turquoise dye than anything else, so I was surprised that the pieces didn't have more green and blue in them.
This is what it looked like right before I dumped it out. As you can see, the turquoise is very prominent. Doesn't it look like a luscious snow cone?

...and now for the birds. I just LOVE watching them each day. Every time it snows, the birds flock to my feeder and my birdbath "spa." (I have a heater for my birdbath.) Today, this female cardinal was enjoying the sunflower seeds on the ground.
I'm not sure about all the names of the birds. I think my sister told me this is a titmouse??? I love the little tuft of feathers on his head.
I don't know what kind of bird this is. It looks like a sparrow to me (except for the stripes on its head). 
A blue jay showed up today. I think it is because I put some crackers and popcorn out on the ground. In these pictures, though, he was enjoying the sunflower seeds. I couldn't resist taking a couple of pictures of him--that blue is just so beautiful. 

2 comments:

Quilt or Dye said...

Nice snow dyes. They never turn out the way you expect!

Anonymous said...

Possibility on Turquouise dye: Turquoise MX dyes are a larger molecule and tend to like warmer temperatures and tend to take longer to react with the fabric.