Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Owensboro Area Quilt Show 2010--Installment 2

I went to the Owensboro Area Quilt Guild Show held at the Owensboro Science Museum in downtown Owensboro, KY, on Saturday, June 26. I took several pictures to share. This is my second blog post of pictures. Here is today’s virtual show…

I'd also like to note (again) that I have included all the information that was included at the show about the quilts. No information about the patterns were given (if patterns were used), and it wasn't noted whether the quilt was made from a pattern or whether it was an original work of the maker.

A few antique quilts were displayed downstairs where a simulated coal mine had been set up in the museum. I love this “string” quilt; I really like how it is put together. I think a quilt made from really “modern” fabrics would give this quilt a VERY contemporary look. Hmmmm…maybe that’s what I’ll work on next. The other thing I really like about this quilt is the pink “patch” on the right-hand side of the quilt. The quilt was certainly used.
The second antique quilt I photographed is a Grandmother’s Flower Garden. I took a picture of this quilt because of the way the maker used color. She didn’t make the “traditional” circle of the same color for the “flowers.” Hers looks almost like snowflakes. I also like the yellow (rather than green) “path” in the quilt.
This was a little bit different “take” on a “Turning Twenty Again” quilt. Guinn Trogden did some blue embroidery on this quilt to turn it into a nice holiday quilt. Terry Russelburg quilted snowflakes in some of the plain blocks to lend a wintery feel to the quilt.

This quilt was folded up, so I couldn’t get a really good picture of it, but you can get an idea of what it looks like. It is a good way to use large pieces of fabric. “Globes” was made and quilted by Cheryl Robinson-Atwood.
“Chocolate Decadence” was also folded, so it was hard to get a good picture. I really liked the subtle coloration of this quilt. It was made and quilted by Rita English.
This red, white, and black quilt was made by Margaret Scott and quilted by Terry Russelburg. It is called “Gift Boxes.” I want some of the border fabric for my stash!
This was a small quilt made by Karen Long Ball and quilted by Jane Pitt. It is called “Baby Star.”
This is another quilt made by Karen Long Ball called “Rocky Mountain II – 50%”. It was quilted by Rita English. The tiny squares in the inside border added a nice touch to this "rail fence" quilt.
“Cottage Sampler” was made by Debbie Royal and quilted by Pam Mayo. I really like the way the black sets off the sampler blocks in this quilt.
This quilt has 4550 pieces! It is called “Blue Moon of Kentucky” and was made and quilted by Rita English.
I have a few more pictures to share with you. I'll try to get them posted tomorrow, so check back.


2 comments:

Julie Ryan said...

Beth, I really liked these quilts in particular the Grandmother's flower Garden and the Rocky Mountain 11. Very inspiring. Thanks

Laura said...

Very traditional quilts -- that's what they seem to like at the guild I joined a few months ago. My favorite shown is the Chocolate Decadence!