Monday, April 19, 2010

Pictures of the Hoffman Challenge 2009 from the Chicago International Quilt Festival 2010

I took some pictures while I attended the Chicago International Quilt Festival. I'll be sharing them with you as I get them edited.

These are some of the quilts on display with the 2009 Hoffman Challenge.
The quilt above is called “Pineapple Paisley” and was made by Martha Mook from Fort Pierce, Florida. It won the Best Hand Workmanship-Mixed Technique award in the Hoffman Challenge.
“Royal Radiance” was made by Dottie Lankard from Independence, Kansas. It took the Second Place-Pieced award in the Hoffman Challenge.
“Paisley Promises” was made by Diane Magarelli, QP53, QC-F. She says, "It is an original design that is part of a series which I began in 2005 exploring different ways to add dimension. The first technique I developed used supporting triangles that were outside of the quilt and visible. This technique keeps the supporting mechanism out of view." PERSONAL COMMENT...This quilt had a three-dimensional border that was supposed to stand out from the quilt—sort of like looking down into the lid of a shirt box . The people who hung the show hadn’t pulled the border out (or they had tried to pull it out and it hadn’t stayed), so the triangles were not “pulled” into position. This caused the quilting motif between the pieces to be off center and caused some of the bottom pieces to be partially covered by that three-dimensional border. It was all I could do not to fix this. Other people around me as I viewed this quilt said the same thing.
“Birds” was made by Tami Jones from Allentown, Pennsylvania. This quilt was “stuck” way in the back of the exhibit. It was really a pretty little quilt, but I’ll bet a lot of people missed it because of the placement. What a shame.

I'll be posting more of my pictures as I get time. Stay tuned...


No comments: