Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Finally Finished

This is the project I worked on in the quilt finishing class I took from Kathy Loomis. This is an illustration of facing a quilt. I have also posted a picture of the back of the quilt. This is a way to finish the quilt edges without using a binding, which gives the quilt a "frame." Kathy's method reduces the bulk in the corners of the quilt to get nice, sharp corners. This piece is VERY thick and stiff. I was pleased with the results. This is an original piece called "Colored Oak."  It is machine appliqued and machine quilted. It measures approximately 12" X 12". 
This is the back of the quilt. The facing is hand sewn to the back.

I've been working on finishing some other projects I had started. This wall hanging is machine pieced and machine appliqued. I machine quilted it too. The pattern is called "Retro Waves & Flowers in a Vase" by Sunflower Hill Designs by Julie Popa. I haven't made the "Retro Waves" part of the pattern yet.
This is a small Peace sign quilt from Country Threads. I purchased the kit last year at the Chicago quilt show. Each year (for the past couple of years) Country Threads has had a $10 kit. I try to get one each year. It is machine pieced and machine appliqued.
The last quilt is made from a Lori Smith pattern--Kansas Troubles. I made the top during our last guild retreat. I finally got it quilted and bound. It is machine pieced and machine quilted.
I really like these little quilts. I use them on the backs of some of my chairs (like my grandma used to use doilies), I put them on my end tables and coffee table, and I hang some of them. I did get a little tired of making tiny half-square triangles for this particular quilt, though. I even cut out one of these quilts and made up my own little kit to give to one of my friends as part of her Christmas gift. (She hasn't made hers yet.)

No comments: