Monday, November 16, 2009

Maria Peagler Fabric and Works In Progress

At my last guild quilting retreat and Lora Nale's retreat in Jasper, I worked on several things. I thought I'd post pictures of some of them. The first is made from a Lori Smith pattern (Fat Quarter Quilting: And the 4-inch Block--From My Heart to Your Hands) and uses the fabrics I won from Maria Peagler, author of "Color Mastery: 10 Principles for Making Stunning Quilts." The little quilt is called "Sampler Magic" and measures 16" X 20". These are colors I would never have thought to put together, but I love the finished project. It is actually quilted and bound! Thanks, Maria, for the fabric. I even used it for the back. I also finished my Country Lanes (by Kaye England) top. I just love quilts with "trails."
I finished the top for a small Peace Sign quilt from Country Threads. The binding was included in the kit and is a bright blue. (That really sets the quilt off, but I didn't have time to get it quilted and bound yet, so you can't see that. I'll post it again when it is finished.) This came from a cute little $10 kit I purchased at the Chicago quilt show this year. I'm sure it was designed to celebrate the anniversary of the peace sign. I also finished the top from a pattern called "Flowers in a Vase" from Sunflower Hill Designs by Julie Popa. The pattern also includes a pattern called "Retro Waves." I was working on this one really late at night and kept making silly mistakes. That just goes to show you that you should go to bed when you get tired--don't work on something that has to be cut out!
At the guild retreat, I made three blocks for my The Quilt Show Block of the Month by Sue Garmin called "Stars for a New Day." Since then, I also got all of the rest of the blocks cut out and got a few more blocks made--now that took some time! Here they all are so far...there are several more to go.
Oh, and a little update on my quilting studio...it is finished except for the trim, cabinets, sink, faucet, and laminate tops. There are a few miscellaneous things beyond that to do. The cabinets and laminate tops are ordered. The sink and faucet are purchased. I don't think it will take too long to finish once the son-in-law has time to work on it. (The poor guy is working 10-hour days and most Saturdays now at his "day" job.)

No comments: