Thursday, October 8, 2009

Faux-Metal Sketchbook Cover

I needed to make something for a donation to a silent auction for the Home of the Innocents in Louisville. I am a member of LAFTA (Louisville Area Fiber and Textile Artists), and the Home of the Innocents is where we meet. Each year, members of LAFTA donate items that will be included in a basket that will be auctioned off at a silent auction with the proceeds going to the Home (at least that is what I think I heard at the meeting). I'm getting ready to leave for a vacation, so I really needed to get something together. I decided on making a faux-metal sketchbook cover with a fabric insert. I got the sketchbook at the "White Elephant" dive at the end of our last meeting. Someone put the sketchbook in the pile...and I grabbed it.The fabric insert came from a piece of fabric I purchased at Ikea. The sketchbook is covered with a "metal tape" that is distressed by pounding and sanding. It is then "stained" with permanent black ink. I didn't stain the "frame" so it would stand out a bit from the background. I saw this method demonstrated on Craft Lab (a DIY Network show). I added some silk fabric squares with brads to add a bit of interest. I had a lot of fun doing it and will probably do one for myself at a later date.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are just so full of ideas!!! This is awesome!!! I'm sure it will be a hit at the auction. Dana