Thursday, August 13, 2009

Inspiration and Happenstance

I have gotten back in the "swing of things" after the death of my grandmother. She was a very special lady and sure will be missed. I'm including one of my favorite pictures of her. This was taken on her 95th birthday last September. She rode a Harley around town to celebrate. She was something! I apologize for taking so long to update my site. I'll try to do better. I did finish work on my Halloween project--Candy Corn & Summer Slices, Pattern LAS200 by Lily Anna Stitches. It is a wool felt table topper approximately 16 1/2". I'm really pleased with the way it turned out. It gave me something easy to work on while I was traveling.
I mentioned being inspired by some pictures I took at the Dome in West Baden Springs in southern Indiana. I thought I'd show you a couple. Surely I can come up with some kind of art quilt depicting these photos. These pictures were taken right at dusk. The dome is absolutely breathtaking at that time of day. The center of the dome changes colors; it reminds me of a kaleidescope. I like the off-center picture; I think it will make a more interesting quilt.Yesterday, I worked on my Happenstance quilt (61" X 85"). (I must say that this is one of the most clearly written patterns I have used lately. I have been very disappointed with many of the patterns I have purchased simply because the directions are so poorly written. The designs are good, but following the directions is a nightmare. I haven't found that to be a problem with Quilts by Caren. Check them out.) I started sewing the black sashing to the blocks and putting my Happenstance quilt together into rows. First I found an arrangement of the blocks that I liked. Check it out. I'll keep you updated on my progress.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back to blogging. I've missed you. If I make it to 95 I hope I can still get on the back of a motorcycle! You have some great memories. Can't wait to see the Happenstance quilt up close and personal. It really looks good. Dana