Friday, July 3, 2009

Visiting Indianapolis Quilt Shops

I just got back from a trip to Indianapolis, IN, with a friend of mine. We had the opportunity to visit a couple of the quilt shops there. First we hit Quilts Plus north of the city. The staff was very friendly and numerous samples caught our attention. I was really drawn to a sample quilt that used TINY little nine patch and Hole in the Barn Door blocks. It was really something. I didn’t buy the pattern; though, I figured that would be one more UFO to add to my already huge stack! I did manage to purchase a book there. It was a book on color theory. I figure I could put it to good use.

Our second stop was to The Back Door quilt shop south of the city. I just love this shop. The staff is very helpful, and they too have lots and lots of samples to see. I bought a pattern by Crabapple Hill (the second Crabapple Hill pattern I have purchased in the last two weeks) called #317 Vintage Trick or Treat. I saw a sample of this quilt (in process). It is adorable—embroidered blocks combined with piecing and large black rick-rack. What can I say…cute, cute, cute! I’m thinking any of the embroidery blocks could be used for other projects—pillows, wall hangings, small quilts. The pattern is a bit pricey--$25.25, but it is more like a book than a pattern. I’m hoping I find it worth the price. I just haven’t seen anything like it.

I also purchased a pattern for a wool felt table rug that finishes to a circular shape of approximately 16 ½”. The pattern is called “Candy Corn & Summer Slices” by Lily Anna Stitches and contains the instructions for two rugs. I bought the wool felt kit for the Candy Corn version. Large candy corn pieces edge a black scalloped circular background. I’m thinking that my Longaberger Halloween basket will look adorable on this rug for my Halloween table decoration. Now, we’ll see if it actually gets finished in time for Halloween!

I hadn’t visited these shops for quite some time and really enjoyed my time there.

No comments: