Monday, February 23, 2009

Kids Quilts Are Given/Dog-Quilt Story

I gave my great-nieces and nephew their rag quilts last weekend when I was in Memphis. I thought you might enjoy seeing them with their quilts. They really seemed to enjoy them, and the nephew slept with his the first night he had it. It is so much fun to make quilts for children. I hope they drag them around and play with them till they are thread bare.

My sister, Pam, is the grandmother to these children. Her daughter (my niece, Wendy) had a baby quilt I made her when she was born. Now that quilt was thread bare! Wendy used it when she was a baby, and my sister covered up with it after Wendy was no longer interested in it. I remember being at Pam’s house and begging her to throw it away because it looked SO bad—the appliqués were hanging off of it. Pam always said they all fought over it in the evenings because it was so soft, and she wouldn’t get rid of it. They had a wiener-dog (Rhoda) that sat on the couch with her each evening. I’m not much of a dog lover (now that is another story) but, I loved Rhoda. She was a great dog. Wendy’s baby quilt became known as Rhoda’s quilt. She was very protective of it, and she wanted to be covered up with it every time she went to sleep. If you didn’t cover her up, she “nosed” it until she was under it. Rhoda had to be put to sleep a couple of years ago. She was wrapped in the quilt when she died. It went with her to her final resting place. What a fitting end to a much loved quilt! I was honored.




3 comments:

Ann said...

I love your quilts :) They are so cute. Where did you get the pattern?

Anonymous said...

I love these quilts. I would like to make one for my granddaughter. Is there a pattern? What size are they. Really enjoy your site. Mary

Quilter Beth said...

All the patterns are listed in the Tuesday, December 9, 2008 blog entry. They are both Simplicity patterns. They have even more besides the dog and cat. They have a bear, butterfly, and ladybug that I remember.