Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Transferring Your Quilting Design to Your Quilt

I took pictures when I set up to transfer my quilting design to my niece's baby quilt. There are several ways you can do this. (Sometimes I use a fine mesh (tulle) and trace the design onto the tulle with a Sharpie marker. I place the tulle with the marked quilting design on my quilt and draw over the Sharpie lines with a "pencil.") This time I traced the quilting design onto a piece of deli-wrap paper. I had room to trace this design twice.

Next, I pin several layers (I used 7 this time.) of deli-wrap underneath the tracing. I place pins in several places so the papers won't shift.



I sew on the traced lines with a large unthreaded needle in my machine. This makes small needle holes in the deli-wrap through all the layers in the shape of the quilting design. After I have sewn the entire quilting design, I cut the excess deli-wrap away from it and place it in position on my quilt.
Once the design is positioned on the quilt, I pin it in place. I use my darning foot to free motion quilt through the deli-wrap in the shape of the quilting design (which has been transferred via needle holes). If you click on this picture, I think you can actually see the needle holes. Once the quilting is finished, carefully remove the paper from around your stitches. Voila...your quilting is done and there are no marks on your quilt!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Question Beth about this deli paper being used to sew through with thread for the final quilting. Does paper stick in the stitches? IS your deli wrap the same consistency as Reynold's Freezer paper? have you tried ironing the waxy side down and quilting on that? perhaps pinning instead limits the amount of paper sticking to the stitches? Thx for any further suggestions for using this quicker method of machine quilting.

Quilter Beth said...

RE: paper sticking in deli wrap
I have had really good luck with the deli wrap. It is great for use on light/medium-colored fabrics. If any pieces are left, most of them brush off or wash out. Any that are left after that can be "tweezered" out (seldom needed). On dark fabrics, you can see tiny bits of the paper. For dark fabrics, I would use the tulle method I mentioned above. The freezer paper would be a bit too heavy weight (for my taste). I would be afraid it would distort the stitches when it is torn off because of the weight and the melted wax.